B.Sc. (Chemistry), 1986, Hebrew University of Jerusalem; LL.B., 1990, Tel Aviv University.
- Senior Partner
- Attorney at Law, Patent Attorney
- Profile on LinkedIn
David has extensive professional experience in the various fields of intellectual property, in particular patents, trademarks, designs, copyrights, plant breeders’ rights, distribution agreements and competition law, including litigation, transactions and general consulting on intellectual property issues.
His main fields of expertise: chemistry, pharmaceutics, physics, high technology, branding and competition law. David has extensive professional experience in patent and trademark litigation and enjoys a worldwide reputation for his outstanding accomplishments in these fields. He has been involved in land mark cases, such as the Supreme Court Bacardi case, which was the first case in Israel that recognized the concept of well-known marks.
David also teaches on patent law at the Tel Aviv University Law Faculty and occasionally lectures at Israeli academic institutions and other forums.
- The Wealth of Nations and Intellectual Property in the 21st Century
- A New Design Registration Regime: What You Need to Know
- New Design Law in Israel
- No BIG DEAL? Supreme Court confirms likelihood of confusion between marks as used
- Victory for Barilla: Supreme Court finds competitor's packaging confusingly similar
He is the author of “Experimental Use and Patents” IIC Studies (Vol 16 1995) and served as a research fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Patent, Copyright and Competition Laws from 1992 to 1993.
He has written chapters on Israel in several books and manuals, including –
Manual Industrial Property of Kluwer IP Law (Brown Book – Ed: Arnold & Siedsma)
The Trademark Cancellation International Practice and Procedures Guide International Trademark Association (INTA)
The Trademarks throughout the World (West Group)
Intellectual Property Law in Israel (first and second edition) in the Encyclopedia of Laws published by Kluwer Law International (co-author)
Patent Litigation Global Guide (Thomson Reuters)
Designs 2019: A global guide (WTR)
As well as many articles and contributions published in various periodicals and magazines.
Amongst others, David is a regular contributor to World Trademark Review and has contributed articles to Intellectual Asset Management.
- Globes: "China understood where is the big money". An opinion piece by Adv. and Patent Attorney, David Gilat, a Senior Partner of our Group, discussing the connection between a wealth of a nation and its intellectual property.
- mako: "Imitating and gaining" - an article about the trade dress and trademark imitations phenomenon with the participation of Adv. & patent attorney David Gilat, senior partner of our group, and Adv. Rakefet Peled, partner of Gilat, Bareket & Co. of our group.
- Chambers & Partners 2018: Leading the Intellectual Property arena in Israel!
- Walla News: "Court ruling did not prevent the use of the name "Voice of Hope" from a new radio station and opened up a forty year old wound". An article about the court ruling in Strategic Communications Group's case represented by Adv. & Patent Attorney David Gilat, senior partner of our group and Adv. Rakefet Peled, partner of Gilat, Bareket & Co., of our group.
- Designs Rights: Functionality and Scope of Protection [CRC]: Israel chapter authored by Adv. & Patent Attorney David Gilat, senior partner, and Adv. Sa'ar Alon, head of our Design dept.
David has been recommended for several years in leading international guides:
Chambers & Partners Global , Legal 500(recommended as one of the ” Leading individuals” under IP in Israel), Managing Intellectual Property (MIP IP Stars) , WTR1000 , IAM 1000 (The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners), Expert Guides (both patent & TM categories), Who’s Who Legal (Patent, TM, Life Science, Telecommunications Media & Technology: Information Technology) and WIPR Leaders in IP (Patents, LS, TM, Electronics, Pharmaceutical, Software, Technology, Food & Beverage)..
Chambers & Partners Global 2014: Founding partner David Gilat is a highly praised patent attorney who is lauded for his “drive for quality” and ability to build “rock-solid arguments.” Sources add: “He gives high-quality advice and is committed to the case for his clients.”
Chambers & Partners Global 2015: David Gilat comes highly recommended for his work in trade mark disputes and patent infringement. Sources describe him as “incredibly smart.” – Band 2
Chambers & Partners Global 2017: Clients appreciate David Gilat’s expertise in the space. An interviewee stated: “He is very experienced and very smart. He has been excellent.”
Legal 500: David Gilat is ‘a privilege to work with’.
Managing Intellectual Property (MIP IP Stars): “David is fully committed, fully owns the case,” says a client. “There is no nine-to-five mentality and if extra work needs to be done it is being fitted into his schedule. He is creative and working together with clients to achieve results.”
Intellectual Asset Management – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners 1000 (IAM Patent 1000): “The “professional and easy to work with” David Gilat has extensive practical knowledge of all varieties of IP rights and is a respected academic in the field”.
The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals (WTR 1000): David Gilat said to be “a creative thinker”, “tough adversary” and is “routinely highlighted for skill in tackling – and winning – trademark disputes at all levels of the court system”.
The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals (WTR 1000) – 2017: The contentious star is the “superb” David Gilat, whose “professionalism and invaluable support” continue to wow clients.