Dr. Ilan Cohn
- Senior Partner, Head of Department
- Patent Attorney
- Profile on LinkedIn
Ph.D. (Biology), 1988, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Dr. Ilan Cohn, has many years of experience in the field of patents and other intellectual property fields. Additionally, in the course of his professional career Ilan gained significant experience and expertise in turning intellectual property assets, particularly patents into a first tier asset. In addition to assisting entrepreneurs, investors and companies in dealing with patent matters, Ilan also advises and prepares a custom road map for building up and making use of intellectual property as strategic assets. He was involved in the establishment of intellectual property based companies in general, and in the field of life sciences, in particular, steering the build-up of the intellectual property of such companies into assets that yield profits to investors and shareholders. He is a member of the Board of Directors of a number of several such companies and was also a member of the investment committees of venture capital funds and technological incubators.
Ilan advises companies which operate in or are looking to expand to the Far East. He was also an active partner in business deals between Israeli companies and companies in the Far East, including China, Japan, Korea and India. His experience and expertise were acknowledged by the Chinese Patent Office (CIPO), who invited him to hold a seminar on the topic of the relationship between IP and business.
Ilan manages the life science and chemistry department of Reinhold Cohn & Partners, that includes a very large staff of patent attorneys, trainees, paralegals, and assistant staff. His experience encompasses many technology disciplines including industrial, medical, and diagnostic biotechnology, drug development, molecular biology, biotechnology-based medicaments, formulations, nanotechnology, high throughput screening methods, genomics, proteomics, chemical and biotechnological processes, natural products and extracts, functional food, agricultural products, homeland security against biological hazards and others.
- The 3rd International AIPPI Israel Convention on The Economy of Innovation
- Are you a medical Device Startup? Join us March 18th!
- GoforIsrael 2018
- CACSC competition – Alibaba Cloud in cooperation with Techcode Israel incubator
- "The changes in the law for encouragement of capital investments - Taxation of Intellectual Property" conference
- Calcalist: "The Israelis are championes in regards to patents, yet do not enjoy them". Dr. Ilan Cohn, Senior Partner in our Group, in an article about the significance and connection between Israeli inventiveness, the transfer of knowledge, and the Israeli economy
- Chambers & Partners 2018: Leading the Intellectual Property arena in Israel!
- Doing Business in Israel 2017: Intellectual Property chapter by Senior Partner, Dr. Ilan Cohn and Partner, Adv. Orit Gonen
- The Marker: Good News for Israeli Start-ups
- JPost: China-Israel Relations: When the Gate Opens
Ilan has been personally recommended for several years in leading international guides, such as Chambers & Partners Global, Managing Intellectual Property (MIP IP Stars), IAM Strategy 300, IAM Patent 1000 (The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners ) and Expert Guides (Patent Law Practitioners).
Chambers & Partners Global: Senior partner Ilan Cohn heads the firm’s life science and chemistry group. Clients praise his personal involvement in matters, with one noting: “Every question I have is handled with full attention and professionalism.”
Chambers & Partners Global 2017: Ilan Cohn is well regarded for his expertise in a range of technologies.
Managing Intellectual Property (MIP IP Stars): Senior partner Ilan Cohn is respected by peers and clients alike who say he “excels in managing patent portfolios and providing strategic advice” and praise the “business acumen” he brings to his work.
Intellectual Asset Management – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners 1000 (IAM Patent 1000) 2014: Ilan Cohn is “one of the best practitioners anywhere in the world”, who “understands that the goal isn’t just getting patents, but getting patents that can be used as business assets”.
Intellectual Asset Management – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners 1000 (IAM Patent 1000) 2015: “The group prides itself on understanding how to secure patents with real business value in different markets across the globe. Ilan Cohn is particularly adept at this kind of strategising and also puts his savvy to good use in transactions.”